Thursday, September 16, 2010

Three Thought Thursday: Episode 37

1. I love that fall is partially here! And by partially, I mean that football has arrived!!! Fall is definitely my favorite season. I like to be warm but not hot. And fall is the transition from hot to cold. So it's warm with a tiny touch of cool. As opposed to spring which is cold with a tiny touch of warm. Totally different to me, though Mark thinks I'm crazy when I describe this difference. You know what I'm talking about, right!?! Anyhow, other than the slight change in temp, football is another favorite aspect of my favorite season. I'm a total guy in that I could literally sit and watch college football all day long on Saturday. Doesn't exactly happen, but I could. And used to. We all know what prohibits that now-a-days. But one exciting thing this year is that Kolbe is fully aware of what's going on when football is on TV. He doesn't exactly understand how the game is played but he knows that essentially, they are playing a game, they throw the ball, catch it, run, etc. Even Rudy is down with watching it for a bit. Kolbe wasn't interested at all at Rudy's age. But then again, Rudy is our little linebacker. I'm sure he's naturally drawn to it. (ha!) This past Friday night Mark let Kolbe stay up (way) late so that he could take him to the final quarter of the Frenship/Monterey game. We knew he'd never make it through the entire game, and since they let people in free for the last quarter, it was an easy choice. Mark hyped it up..."Kolbe! You get to go to the  football game with Dada! Just you and me!" Reagan didn't know to protest since he can't bear to keep his eyes open much past 8:30. So off they went after Rudy went to bed. Kolbe fully decked out in his pajamas. They were only there for about twenty minutes, but it was definitely long enough to leave a lasting impression on Kolbe. Ever since then at random times he'll say "Mama, I go to football game with Dada this week too. Just Tolbe and Dada." He's hooked. Age two and he's already hooked. Not just on football, but on Dada too.

2. Mark started his new job on Monday! I think it was met with much fear and trepidation, but hey, all new beginnings are somewhat scary. I think Mark's biggest worry is that he's never worked directly in neurosurgery before. He had a general surgery rotation, but nothing directly related to the head and spine. After doctors leave med school, they choose their field and then proceed to do a roughly three to five year residency in that field. Three to five years of on the job training. For PAs, you walk out of school and can get a full on job in any field you want. Whether you've had direct training in it or not. Three days in and so far Mark is enjoying it, but still feels that there's a lot to learn. And by a lot, he means a lot. But I know my husband, and he'll get it done. He doesn't give up on anything. Ever. This will take some time, but just like every other obstacle he's been through, he'll make it.
I, on the other hand, am struggling through "back to reality." Mark has been home with us for about a month now, off and on, and I've gotten so spoiled! Now that he's back to working full time, I'm getting hit with parenting two little boys who have gotten extremely attached to their daddy. Everything for Kolbe is now "with Daddy." For example:
Me: Kolbe, do you want to go to the library later this week?
Kolbe: No, I want go with me's Daddy.
or
Me: Lay down, Kolbe. Do you want your quilt?
Kolbe: No, I not want me's quilt! I not want me's covers! I not want me's stars on me's ceiling! I want me's Daaaaaaaaaada!!!!
Sweet, but frustrating all at the same time. I'm sure it makes Mark happy though.

3. I made my fourth batch of our homemade laundry detergent this week. If I'm not mistaken, it's been almost a year since we started using homemade instead of store bought. And I must say, I don't know if I'll ever turn back. I think I've finally perfected my recipe...with the right amount of ingredients including lavender oil to give it a nice scent. Four batches in one year means I only have to make it ever three months or so. Which is far less often than I had to buy it. And I'm still on the same box of Borax and Washing Soda as when I started. Really, I don't think it costs more than $2-$3 to make an entire batch. Three months worth for $2-$3. And our clothes are clean! Even the boys'! I've yet to put something in the wash while using the homemade detergent where it didn't come out totally clean. (barring the incident with Mark's pen in the dryer....) Needless to say, I'm happy I started doing this and am loving how much it saves us each year.

2 comments:

  1. I've never really heard of homemade washer soap, besides from melanie b. Maybe it's something I should look into?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Try it at least once. It's really easy and such a huge savings. I can email you the recipe I use if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete