Thursday, September 9, 2010

Three Thought Thursday: Episode 36

1. I know, I know. I'm late. Real late, considering I usually have my three thought Thursday completed by the early morning hours of each Thursday. But today has been hectic and so here I am at 4:49pm just getting started. The boys are out eating "lunch" at the kitchen table. Their earlier "meal" consisted of gummi bears, goldfish, and pretzels on the airplane ride home from Houston. They then slept from 1pm until about 4:30pm. Seriously. Normally I would never allow that to happen, but we are all exhausted. And Mark and I were asleep too which meant since they weren't waking us up, we weren't waking them up. Our final leg of our travelling adventures is over and we're finally home for a long. long. while. That is, if I have anything to do with it. Of course, as soon as I say that, we'll have something pop up that requires our immediate travel. But really, I've had a blast on our adventures and would do all of them all over again, but I'm more than ready to just stay home and get back to normal life right now too.

2. This morning at about three minutes after eight while we were on our way to the airport, we received some wonderful news: Mark passed his board exam!!! (*choir of angels bursts into song.*....no, seriously. I know I say that one a lot about seemingly trivial things, but really. I think they probably did burst in to song at that moment. I know all of us in the car did.) We are officially, totally, completely...happily done! Yes, Mark is now Mark D. Asmussen, PA-C MPAS...meaning Mark D. Asmussen, Physician Assistant-Certified Master in Physician Assistant Studies. Thank God for abbreviations, right!?! I could instantly see a massive weight lifted off of his shoulders. He's been a hugely happy and laid-back guy since  finishing his test last Thursday, but I can even see more peace in his demeanor since getting his results this morning. And I have to admit, it's a huge sigh of relief for me too! Our ship has finally come in.

3. School is soon to be in session at The Asmussen Household. As much as you'd never guess it from the looks of my often cluttered house, I'm a person who thrives on organization to not only things but time as well. Over the past many months, I've been feeling a need to develop some sort of organization to my days at home with the boys. I just don't like how on some days we do many things...lots of activities, lots of learning opportunities, etc. And on others we arrive at bed time and I have to wonder if we've read even one book that day. Other "things" seem to take over and raising the boys unfortunately takes a backseat from time to time. Just being honest. There are days like that. Where laundry, cleaning, cooking, packing, and errand-running seem to win. But I've always felt like if I developed some sort of organization to my days and my ideas of things to do with the boys, this would happen far less often. Granted, it sometimes may still happen. But maybe not as often. In my dream world it would be never. So my mom bought me the teacher planner of my choice at an educational store by their house in The Woodlands (I chose one designed for a pre-school teacher) and over the next week I plan on getting my act together and setting up goals for things I'd like to do with the boys each week. I also found a free pre-pre-school "curriculum" online that offers themes you can follow each week as well as activities, songs, poems, projects and more that accompany each theme. I'm not sure if we'll follow this exactly or not, but I'll definitely be getting lots of ideas from there. And I realize that the majority of our time will still just be the boys being boys and me being a mama. But at least I'll feel organized in my goals for them. Does that make sense? For me, an organized mama is a more peaceful mama. And for the boys, a more peaceful mama is a better mama. Which is what they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment