Thursday, February 18, 2010

Three Thought Thursday: Episode 7

1. I hate vinyl tablecloths. I mean, for their intended use, I guess their ideal for homes with children. But ugh. Nothing says "picnic" like a big piece of plastic draped across the table. And still, I found myself at Target this morning walking past a clearance display with khaki colored vinyl table cloths for just a few bucks and I instantly snapping up not just one, but two in my table's size. (might as well have a back-up for when the monsters manage to destroy the first...) I attempted to do the fabric table cloth thing for a while after Kolbe was born, but let's get real: I'd be forced to throw that thing in the washing machine every single day with a two-year-old and a one-year-old. Heck, I'm lucky if they can manage to keep a meal on their plates! Actually, I should be honest, Reagan doesn't even use a plate. I just put whatever he's eating right on the table to avoid him throwing the plate on the floor. One day I'll have a lovely looking table cloth that exudes sophistication and style. For now, despite my disdain for their appearance, I'll go with convenience. It's indoor picnics year round.

2. I'm obsessed with The Olympics. Literally right now as I type I have curling on in the background. Curling. I somehow feel compelled to watch people play essentially shuffleboard on ice. But to tell the whole story, my parents raised us on watching the Olympics every year that they came up and several of my most vivid memories as a child evolved around The Olympics. I especially remember the Summer Olympics in Atlanta in 1996. We were living in Columbus, MS, just a few hours away so The Olympics were all the rage. The neighborhood girls and I did gymnastics in the front yard to songs on the radio. So endearing. I tend to prefer the summer Olympics, but I'm not one to skip on the winter ones either. I knew they were coming up but didn't really think much about them until the opening ceremonies a few nights ago. Now I'm completely hooked and committed to watching whatever sport is on whenever I have a few free minutes. There's just something about the competition, pride, and emotion that goes in to these games. Last night Mark and I had the snowboarding on as Kolbe played on the floor with his bowling set. After knocking down all of the pins, he flipped the bin that stores the set over and climbed up on top of it, ala gold medal podium style. I remember doing just the same on my mom's mixing bowls as a child. So adorable!

3. For all you Catholic-folk out there, you know what time of year it is...Lent! And while it's certainly a wonderful time of year to deepen your faith, it's also a wonderful time of year to expand that cooking repertoire and sharpen up on a few no-meat recipes. At least that's what I plan to do this Lent. Prior to becoming a stay-at-home mom, I was really never much of a cook. Now I really love to cook and try out new recipes, though I'm certainly no pro yet! In previous years, throughout the season of Lent, Friday became a good excuse to pick up pricey fried catfish instead of cooking. But then part of me felt slightly guilty...like how does eating out constitute any form of a fast!?! For us, eating out is a treat no matter what's on the menu. So this year I'm going to make an attempt to try some fun new meat-free recipes. I found this website with tons of good recipes to attempt. I'm sure there are many more site out there (and books too!), but just thought I'd share one for those of you looking for the same Friday food requirement. Happy Lent to everyone! (including any non-Catholics...preparing for Easter is such a wonderful time!) (and yes, I'm sure I'll have fried catfish at least once this Lenten Season!!! So yummy!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment