Thursday, February 4, 2010

Three Thought Thursday: Episode 5

1. My baby is turning one next week. I don't like it. At all. I know, I know. He'll still be a baby. And my baby, at that. But there's just something about being one that makes him not as baby-ish as when he's not one. I certainly didn't feel this way with Kolbe. With him, I think we were so proud of all he had been through in his first year and just thrilled that he made it to one with such success, that it didn't matter quite as much. Plus, I was about five months pregnant with Reagan at Kolbe's first birthday, so there was the guarantee of another "baby" just a few months away. Kolbe had to be the big bro! I know that the day after Reagan's birthday will be pretty much the exact same as the day before (it's just a number, after all...), but it makes me sad. I want him to stay a baby forever. I guess the only consolation is that at least for the second year of life, I can still refer to his age in terms of months. (eighteen months, fifteen months...) Once they hit two, they're just two.

2. We got several inches of snow last week. And lots of ice too! It was so pretty, and though Lubbock is probably one of the least scenically attractive cities ever, it's so fun to live in a place where we have all four seasons. Hot summers, cool falls, fresh springs, and cold winters with enough snow to make it fun but not annoying. Especially with kiddos, the snow is a blast! The only thing I hate is the mess it causes during and after. Wet towels, piles of wet snow gear, messy footprints, tons of laundry...the snow has got to be the biggest chore of all forms of precipitation. Not to mention the fact that as soon as they're bundled up, they suddenly have to go pee. It's so worth it, though, to see that look of wonder on their faces!

3. Are you a crock pot cooker? I am. More so in the winter than the summer, 'cause it usually seems like crock pot food is more of the warm, comfort variety. The perks of the crock pot are numerous. Who doesn't love throwing a bunch of stuff in a pot and winding up with a yummy dinner hours later!?! No "cooking" required! The one thing I've always hated, though, is trying to clean that sucker afterward. With several hours of heat streaming in to bubbly contents, it makes for tons and tons of caked on goo along the sides of the pot. A while back I came across a coupon for Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners and decided that I'd have to give them a try. While yes, one of them leaked slightly, overall they've been an awesome addition to the paper goods cabinet at our house. Best of all, they fit all sizes of crock pots, so whether I'm making a roast for dinner or queso for a party, I can throw one on either of my crock pots and don't have to fret about having to clean it up later. Or let it soak on the counter overnight as globs of nasty cheese float to the top of the stagnant water. While not a necessity, they're a fun, appreciated splurge. Such a great invention! Now if only they'd make them in 8"x8" or 13"x9" pan sizes....

No comments:

Post a Comment