Monday, February 22, 2010

A Little Piece of Awesomeness

Let me just tell you how awesome my kitchen "window" is. I say "window" with quotation marks around it because, technically, there is no glass and it definitely doesn't look from the inside of our house to the outside of our house. But it does look from the kitchen in to the family room. Something I've been wanting to do for eons.

You see, when I bought our house, I was a mere twenty-one years old. I was single, starting a new career as a teacher, and far from thinking about kids or cooking elaborate meals. And certainly no where near fathoming how a kitchen would affect those two things. Now I'm (cough, cough) twenty-seven and have two kiddos and a husband all in this same charming (to put it kindly), little house.

Don't get me wrong; there are many things I love about this house. Like the fact that all three bedrooms have walk-in closets. Big walk-in closets. Or our huge brick fireplace. Or heck, the mere fact that we have a house! But it's safe to say that the kitchen isn't high up on my list of loves. It's narrow, old, and yucky. A shotgun kitchen of sorts. You can't open both the dishwasher and oven at the same time. And the biggest problem? You can't see from the kitchen in to the family room without walking around the corner to the table area. Until now!

One of my favorite houses in the whole world is my Popo and Mom Helen's house here in Lubbock. It's simply awesome. And one of my favorite features of it is a little "window" that is above the kitchen sink and looks in to the family room. I always thought it was so cool. So naturally, after I bought our house, I began dreaming of having one above my sink. I'd be able to stay in the kitchen and still be a part of whatever was going on in the family room. Or still be able to watch the TV if I was alone. It was always one of those someday... type things.

But around the time Reagan turned about six-months-old, we developed a little problem at the Asmussen Household: shenanigans. I'd run to the kitchen to throw together lunch or put the dishes in the dishwasher only to hear Reagan's wailing seconds after I walked away. By the time I'd dash back around the corner, it was too late to figure out what happened. I just assumed it was Kolbe attacking Reagan for taking a toy or Kolbe pushing Reagan over or Kolbe...

I began to covet my kitchen "window" more than ever.

Somewhere in this time frame, I must have mentioned it around my cousin Mandi's husband, Joe. In his spare time (when he's not busy being an orthopedic surgeon...), he likes to do any kind of home improvement project, build things, do wood working, etc. A few months ago he finished up on a Murphy bed that is one of the most impressive hand-made things I've ever seen. Mad skills.

He decided he would donate his time (as if he really has any!) to creating this "window" for me. Mark was willing to help out, eager to learn a few things, and excited to create something cool for the kitchen. They planned to complete the project the Saturday the boys and I were in Houston. (the one where we were supposed to be home already but got stuck in Houston...yet another good reason we didn't make it home!) As it turned out, Joe's dad Pat (Mr. Bergman, as he's known to us) came to town for a visit at the last minute and joined the construction team.

Unfortunately, what was intended to be a fairly straight-forward project became a little bit complicated when they knocked out the "window" only to find a huge sewage pipe right through the middle. They started around 8:30 in the morning and Mark didn't call me to tell me they were done until around 10:30 at night. A ton of work for so a longly desired window!!!

Needless to say, I have yet to think of words to thank both Joe and Mr. Bergman for their efforts. Luckily, Mark gets to see just how much I love the "window" every day, so he knows how thankful I am. And he's thankful too! But the fact that the Bergmans gave their time and knowlege to making something so special for me just means so much. I feel unworthy! I am unworthy!

I know, I know. I'm probably making it sound like they built me a whole new house, but hey, to me, this is something extremely special! And it's the little things that make life so enjoyable! Here's why my little window is so awesome:

- It's been little over a week since we got home from Houston. Since then, I've busted Kolbe countless times. I was right. Most of the shenanigans were because of him...

- I've busted Reagan a hand full of times too! Sneaky little one-year-old! He tries to play it off by crying, but sometimes he's the one causing it!!!

- Our kitchen actually feels bigger! I never imagined this effect, but it's true. Something about the light and air filtering in makes it feel not as claustrophobic.

- I know I'll never live in my Popo and Mom Helen's House, but this makes mine just a little bit more like theirs.

- It's pretty darn nice to be able to see the TV while doing dishes. Especially while the Olympics are on!

I'm sure as I spend more and more (and more) time in the kitchen, there will be more and more reasons for me to love it! I am so thankful!

Looking at it from the kitchen side...
Looking at it from the family room (I'm still not sold on the mirror beside it...)
Looking at it from the hallway
Any way you look at it, it's pretty awesome!!!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! Major props. I'm ready to do stuff like this to my house now!

    ReplyDelete