Thursday, August 26, 2010

Three Thought Thursday: Episode 34

1. We survived the Colorado trip! And I must say that it was actually far better than Mark and I had anticipated. Call us pessimists, but going in to the trip something told us it might just be a nightmare. We were probably just tired from the previous two trips. And even after twelve hours travelling there, we were wondering if we should just turn back. But now we're so glad that we didn't! It was gor.geous! And we had so much fun with our family, too. It was different from our typical beach trips where we sit around and do nothing. On this trip, there was always something going on. Heck, I probably got more exercise there than I have in a long time! As for the boys, I'll give them an A- considering all we put them through. They really were great...most of the time! The only major set back was their rising at roughly 5:30 every morning. Partially because of the time difference (it was 6:30 in their little minds), and partially because they were sleeping in the room with both us and Pat and the curtains didn't completely block out the rising sun. They're used to their little nests of soft blankies, utter darkness, and white noise from the humidifier. Otherwise, I really can't complain much. I'd love to go back. And actually, we're going to get the chance sooner than later because our family reunion is being hosted very near to where we stayed next summer! Can't wait!

2. Of course, no vacation with kids would be complete without at least one little "mommy's nightmare." We ate the majority of our meals at my aunt and uncle's condo throughout the week. They make very elaborate breakfasts and each morning there was a large bowl of fresh fruit to accompany the various other dishes. Kolbe has always been a fruit lover and everyone kept going on and on about how much he was eating or how he loved the fruit. I repetitively jumped in and explained that he couldn't eat too much or he'd have bathroom problems. Sure enough, on Saturday afternoon, our last day, Kolbe came running over to me, frantic. "Mama, Mama! Me need go poops. Me need go POOPS!!!" Total panic had set in and he was crying. I rushed him as fast as I could to the bathroom only to discover that it was too late. Way too late. To make matters worse, I glanced back down the hall to see the whole family peeking in and one or two of them cleaning up "something" on the floor. I was mortified. Sure enough, that something had made its way all the way down his pants legs and left little droppings along the path. It was beyond the point of wiping him up. He went straight to the tub and got a massive rinsing followed by a full on shower and scrub down. Then I got to go at the tub with the Ajax and a scrubber. Poor kid. I felt bad for him. And for me. Just about the only good thing that  came out the whole situation was that it forced me to go ahead and do the laundry at the condo instead of doing it once we got home. It sure was nice to open suitcases of clean clothes!

3. While we were in Colorado, I got to spend a lot of time with my Aunt Mara (Dad's sister), my Uncle Jeff, my cousin Sarah (their daughter), and my cousin Reed (also a Hefferly cousin from another of my dad's sisters...he is a junior at the Air Force Academy). Since returning home, I've thought a lot about them. Growing up Air Force, we were never really close to any of our cousins. Sure, we'd come to Lubbock roughly once a year and see family. And every now and then we'd some how connect with my dad's family that is spread all over the States. But never the live-on-the-same-street-go-to-the-same-schools kind of closeness that some cousins have. After moving to Lubbock to go to Tech, I naturally got very close to my mom's family here in Lubbock. I could probably tell you about each and every aunt, uncle, or cousin and what's going on in their life. And that's saying a lot, considering my mom is one of eight kids and there's something like twenty-seven grandkids. But it's not that way with my Hefferly cousins. I've seen Sarah twice since she was born. Once when she was three and they drove down for my wedding. Another time when she was four and they drove down for Andy's wedding. She's now seven. As for Reed, we used to see him every Thanksgiving when we were stationed in Mississippi. We would drive to his family's home in Georgia to share the holiday. But the last time that happened, I was eighteen and he was ten. Flash forward ten years and I'm now a married mom of two and he's a grown man pursuing his dreams of becoming a pilot. It really was a delight to catch up with these family members. To see who they are now. To see how much, despite so much time, we are so alike. To know that despite the distance, we are still family. And always will be. And it just makes me wonder about my other cousins. Reed's sisters Kristen and Madison. And entire separate family of Hefferlys with Fleming, Clancy, Mary Kendall, and Luke. I wish there was some way to bring us all back together. It's so hard once "life" begins to keep the ties with everyone else. Yet still so important all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment